About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Saturday 11 August 2007

The Summer Cruise

Avid readers of this blog may wonder why we haven't given any news for the past 11 days.

Simply, we have been cruising.

Now, I did try to get onto the net in Birmingham. Sitting under the shadow of the BT Tower, I expected more than a week signal from BT Open world. As I expected data transfer would not be too good, I didn't bother connecting. This was the only 'hotspot' we encountered on the Warwick ring. Now we saw Granny Buttons, moored with no-one aboard, between locks 4 and 5 of the Alvestone locks, so he was probably in some hotspot keeping everyone up to date. We were too busy enjoying the slow filling rate of the locks to spend time looking for one.

We have had wonderful weather for our cruise this summer. Up to Birmingham was no trouble and we chose the pretty route, via the Stratford canal. We visited Think Tank in Brum for a day out and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. This is a fantastic attraction for any who like hands on science stuff and it also houses the City of Birmingham museum with exhibits of the growth and heyday of the industrial growth. Steam engines to buttons, it's all there.

The remainder of the cruise will take some time to record. Each day had a different character.

For now, suffice to say that we have returned to Banbury for the moment to stock up on stuff, spares and other essentials before going down to Oxford for a few days. More, much more including pics to come later.

No comments: