About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Friday 18 April 2008

New Style of Hotel

We have just left the boat at Kate Boats for a bit of re-fitting. We took a while to get her there and have used this week without her to visit family in Kent, staying at the Maidstone Hilton.

I got to thinking about the hotel boats that we past moored just by Chambers Bridge No 100 doing a last minute clean up before starting the summer season.

But Granny Buttons has got in there first! The boats are Lady Selena and Lady Margaret of Ladyline Hotel Boats. I spoke to the owners and they look lovely, the boats I mean as well as the owners. Both boats are powered because it gives better flexibility and speed at locks. Also the resale value of a butty is very little apparently and the Hotel Boat trade is rather precarious. Awayforawhile has had difficulties recently to say the least. They had a pair of their boats (Rose and Castle??)up for sale for quite a while.

Ladyline do run as a pair though, the following boat depending on the view of the first at Wygrams Turn and inaudibly sounding her horn! No harm done as we cruise at under 2mph!

I do wish them all the best with their enterprise. Believe it or not, I like to see people making a go of a business on the canals

No comments: