About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Tuesday 29 April 2008

Very Trad but Bedazzling



Calvert came to town today and the Best Mate spotted her outside the club. We went to visit Terry and Maureen to welcome them to Banbury with traditional gifts of cake and ale. They showed us around their recently acquired and lovingly updated boat.

I have never been in a more traditional boat. From the immaculate Russell Newberry in its hingin 'ole, complete with pijin box and cross bed that folds out of the bed 'ole, to the fold down desk, food cupboard and even a ticket drawer. Margaret is crosherin 'er own lacey daceys and all through the boat are lovely hornamentals.

But the boat is also extremely modern and Terry showed me his modified light fitting with bang oop to date LED bulbs. These were supplied by Bedazzled and I can't wait to see them at Crick. They seem the solution to anyone who has lights as the main drain on the batteries, after starting the hingin that is.

By the way, spelling in this post is inspired by "Ramlin Rose", Sheila Stewart's fantastic book about traditional life on the cut

No comments: