About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Sunday 19 April 2009

Change of Plan

SONFLOWER is back at Tooley's Boatyard having window trims and a few other snags sorted out. Our little cruise down to Oxford and back was a good test and we had to return in some very wet conditions. However, this weekend was dry.

We met narrowboat Bones on the way back to Oxford.

We have just visited friends in Trowbridge and attended their son's baptism. We used to take care of him one day a week when he was little and it was good to see how he has grown up in the intervening years. We were reminded that he had already been 'baptised' when he fell into our pond! I loved the family celebration as we joined them for lunch. Thanks for a wonderful day.

This week is a busy one as we have to prepare SONFLOWER for a dash down the Thames. This is the quickest route to Little Venice even though the tides are not too favourable next Wednesday when we will need to make a passage to Brentford from Teddington lock. We have had offers by two friends to crew the boat. One will be joining me from Oxford so I need to leave this Thursday morning to get there by Saturday lunchtime.

The original plan was to go round the Grand Union route. That is slightly longer but not so scary (no tidal water). However, we have run out of time. I hope to leave the boat in Little Venice on Thursday, return to Banbury and rejoin her, with the full crew, by train on Friday evening. We have fish and chips booked so don't need to worry about victuals!

No comments: