About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Autumnal Thoughts

The alarm was set a little later than usual this morning but that didn't stop the Best mate being up at first light. I raked the fire and reset it with some paper sticks and coal and stumbled outside to start the engine to warm the water for our showers and charge the batteries. (A sink tap had been left dripping yesterday so that the water pump was stop-start all the time we were away from the boat. This is not too good for the pump or our batteries.)

The light was stunning!

As the sun started to rise behind the trees a reflection came off the flooded meadowland behind our mooring that lit up the yellow carpet of fallen leaves and the crests of the green leaved trees across the canal which reflected this golden glow.

I went inside to get the mobile phone and tried to capture the experience. By now the sun was a few degrees higher and the effect had been lost. I took a couple of snaps but I am really the world's worst photographer! Another moorer came down the tow-path as I pointed the phone at her "What on earth are you doing?", she called. "Just taking some Autumnal pictures", I said. "Oh!" she grunted, "I've got to go to work".

The frost on the grass did not last long once the sun came out and the clouds soon filled the clear blue sky. Rain has filled the gap now and warmth dispelled the shocking cold of the night. The leaves are still green on many of the trees, denying that Autumn is here. But I know differently: I saw it this morning at first light.

No comments: