About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Friday 8 May 2009

Bird Watching

The Thames is amazing for birds. Apart from the wrens, robins and thrushes that shout from the marginal hedgerows and trees there are many many birds that I would not include as being indiginous species. Parakeets abound. On the water there are mandarin ducks, egyptian geese and even a black swan on her nest on Goose Island near Molesey.

I always thought of grebes as being lake birds but the great crested grebe is very common along here. More common are swans. I counted over 110 in one view at Chertsey.

One other bird that was note worthy was a peregrine falcon darting and weaving over the river at Windsor. I wondered whether they nest on the castle tower. An ideal spot I would say. Other raptors spotted were sparrowhawk and buzzard.

A sandpiper walked the banks yesterday morning. A nice little bird that isn't often seen.

There was a stack of sand martin nests near one lock but the birds were absent. We have seen house martins and swallows picking off the thousands of caddis fly that are emerging from the water at the moment. One such fly hitched a lift on the boat. I tried to get a photo but it flew as the shutter clicked. This one came aboard later.

No comments: