About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Sunday 14 October 2007

Ghastly News

We have been so busy this last two weeks. With the Canal Day last weekend and the Canalside Folk Festival this we have been a little pre-occupied.

But all of us are shocked about the latest news of the death on Tuesday of Maurice Batts of nb Tina. The newspapers described him as a 64 year old gentleman. That is a truly wonderful description. Along this part of the canal he was well known for his visits to the town from Grimsbury Wharf, to get water and then moor just below the footbridge to take a few moments in town to quench his thirst with a pint or two. He was always ready to pass the time of day and deserves the title "Gentleman"

Our sympathy and prayers are with his family at this dreadful time.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Hi, Thanks for the nice comments about our Dad on your site. Its been a difficult time for all of us and me and my brothers are getting by day-by-day.I think Dad would have appreciated it too. He loved the waterways and enjoyed his time on nb Tina too. Nice to read a post from someone human rather than all the press stuff we have to read too. Andy

THELEVELLER said...

I knew Maurice way back 25 years ago and even further . He was md for a refrigeration company in Lower Cherwell Street at the time and i was invited to join his company over a pint of Pedigree in the Wine Vaults. He was, as already stated a real gentleman , a entrepreneur, a brilliant engineering mind and i owe him a debt of gratitude for giving me a opportunity to have a career in Air Conditioning !
I have always sung Maurices praises and i always will.
My sympathy is heart felt for all his family , he will be missed.