With my good friend John the carpenter chiseling away and sawing in the most confined spaces walls have come down and the floor has come up.
Revealed was water again. Having once had it dry we found that it is now very wet.
The back stairs were removed. The tread supports were rotting.
The bathroom wall was cut from top to bottom approximately where we thought we would reposition the bathroom door for outward opening. Then the extent of the rot in the bottom meant that the remaining stub was demolished as well.
The calorifier at the back under the vanity surface was positioned on rotting boards so I went to our handy bathrom showroom and bought two self seal blanking ends for the engine flow and return and drained it down. Moving it out revealed that the large plug was leaking, probably blanking the hole where an imersion heater would go, - source of water number one found!
Than we pumped out some of the water from the bilge into the wash basin to discover that the drain trap discharge was leaking- source of water number 2 found!
John removed the basin and we removed the calorifier. Next we discovered that the toilet tank was positioned over a board floor that hosted plenty of fungus underneath it. So the toilet tank needs moving and the board needs removing!
By now the debris on the back deck was increasing so I went to Wickes to buy some rubble bags. I was filling one as nb Epiphany came past to turn at Grimsbury Wharf. They were saying "Goodbye" for a time and heading off. " We must be in Thrupp by Tuesday", Fiona said, "for a BSS Examination." I wish them all the best.
I went for some lunch and John cut and positioned some new marine ply boarding. He had to remove the bottom of the shower side wall. The rest came with it! Water staining was evident on the revealed side of the shower tray. Source of water number 3 found.
The boarding on the cabin to engine bay bulkhead was rotten so John removed it revealing that the door threshold was bedded on foam filler which is not waterproof. Rainwater could run under the door cill! Source of water number 4 found!
So I pumped and mopped as much out as I could and now we have to replace the floor, cure the leaks and redo the whole of the bathroom.
Oh, we demolished a wardrobe as well so we have also started on the bunk room!
14 hours ago