About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Tuesday 19 July 2016

Phewww!

Hottest Day of the year and I set us a target of 6 miles and 9 locks.

We started in the shade of the bar at The Old Swan on Cheddington, a 15th century inn that has been brought into the 21st Century and serves local real ale.  I looked for a Tring Ale but had to satisfy myself with Vale Brewery Brill Gold It was gorgeous! The posh fish finger sandwich was a bit of a let down. But this is not a pub revue it is a boating blog.

We walked to the boat beside Cheddington Bridge 126. On the way I discovered that I had not got my keys with me! The front doors are padlocked! They latch easily without a key but are not so easy to open. Our 6 footer said that was no problem as he would jump down into the houdini hatch!  In fact he didn't need to. When we got to the boat I lifted the swan hatch lid and the "no more nails" (well past its useful life) gave way and the lining ply to which the bolts are screwed fell off and we were in!

So we set off! It was sweltering and all the locks were set against us. After the 3 Seabrook locks we were gasping for water and called it a day!

I am now sipping cooled Brecon Brewery (bottled) Target IPA in the evening sun while the best mate has a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc.




No comments: