About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Wednesday 23 June 2021

Celebration in Warwick.

 23 June 2021

Today is the Best Mate’s 70th birthday. The boat being in Warwick is for the celebrations this evening at Tailor’s in the Market Square. It is our favourite restaurant.

However, when we arrived at the boat we found that it had been moved. We carefully moored it just after 48 hours visitor moorings so on 14 days! But Kate Boats think they have a winding hole. It is not marked as such but apparently they think that warrants them moving our boat. So we are now on 48hrs and have been since who knows when. I have phoned the local customer support officer to explain what has happened. We have photographic evidence of where we left her.

After a quiet afternoon on the boat we got a taxi to the Market Place and our favourite restaurant for a celebration meal. Tailor’s offer a delicious and imaginative tasting menu with a good value wine flight. Follow that with cheese plate, with port of course, and coffee and a Laphroig for me and Cointreau for The Best Mate and there was a wonderful contented completeness about the evening. 


 

We hailed a taxi from the nearby rank and were soon snug in the boat. 

24 June 2021

After allowing early rain to clear we moved the boat 1.1/2 miles through Cape Locks to a mooring just around the turn at Budbrooke Junction. We met some nice boaters at the locks. One couple of exactlythesame age as us (I share my birthday with the gent who was on the tiller). The lady told me they had come up the Severn and had had this boat 15 years and others before it. This was the worst year she could remember for difficulties with lock operation which included a fall over a lock beam because one paddle mechanism was so stiff to operate. 

The second boat crew waiting were from N Devon and were interested in BCF as I was wearing a sweatshirt.

At the mooring I set about removing  a plastering of duck poo from the roof.

We then locked up and returned home. 

   1.1/2 miles, 2 locks, 2 hours



No comments: