About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Sunday 26 May 2024

25 May 2025 Napton to Saltisford Junction

We pulled off our overnight mooeing at about 7.00 and were turning onto the Warwick and Birmingham secrion of the Grand Union Canal by 8 am. This was not without slapping the side and thumping the towpath at Wigrams Turn! We worked down Calcutt Locks and Stockton flight before lunch at The Two Boats beckoned. This pub has one of the best selections of real ale on the canal and I was ready for a pint of London Pride. Our  crew gave the buffalo burger and home made chilli 5 stars!
After lunch The Best Mate and Suepercrew left to return home and we continued through Leamington Spa amd Warwick to a mooring just past Saltisford Junction. 


We marvelled at the large number of planted coir rills that have sprouted along thus stretch of canal. It was modernised in 1932 with concrete pile and capping to 7ft depth and 4ft 6 " dredge. Water voles are not known for their ability to bore through concrete but someone has decided that they need to be prepared with welcomong coir roll hotels. I asked CRT at Crick who pays for this folly. I was assured that it is funded from donations from  well meaning companies with money to dissipate from their social responsibility budgets. Maybe I am wrong and this wull attract voles from the near by rivers Leam and Avon.
 
The planting in the rolls will eventually produce a reed bed like this. 

Reed beds require managing. Having re3ed ingress the canal to this extent, and on a bend too is, in my opinion, not safe.

The remaining crew returned home by the 1942 train.

17.1/2 miles, 14 locks , 9 hours


  

No comments: