About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Lots to Do

Those of you that are familiar with the area will recognise that SONFLOWER is moored at Castle Quay, Banbury in the pictures below. The reason is because she is nice and handy for Tooley's Boatyard.

We have commissioned them to do a long list of jobs. The main one is a repaint. The last full paint that Sonlower had was while we were navigating the Warwickshire ring in 2004. We went from spill wier to spill weir to sand her and bridge to bridge to paint her. We used Dulux Weathershield, miles of masking tape and a kilogram of builders sand which we got from a site in Tamworth in exchange for a look through the boat by the site agent.

So it hasn't worn badly. But now we want it done 'properly'! In Masons boat enamel so that she gleams in the sunshine like a posh boat! We will be keeping the colour scheme the same.

We have been fighting leaky windows all the time we have had her. Last summer we removed a couple and re-sealed them to no real avail. To paint 'properly' all the windows will be removed. So we are having new windows as well!

Inside, we are having some work done. The boat has no calorifier to make use of the waste heat from the engine. This seems a very logical thing to have so we are having one fitted. We should save on gas and save the planet. To fit the calorifier means losing a cupboard in the bathroom and repositioning a bilge pump. To do that means refitting the back steps so that they can be removed to give access.

We had a problem with freezing and water leaks inside the boat. One of the problems was the waste pipe from the sink joint to the skin fitting. What we discovered was that the whole sink unit is loose fitted and has come apart at the joints making it come away from the wall and breaking the connection. We are having the unit rebuilt.

Other bits on the list are necessary to meet the boat safety scheme requirements. We are replacing the stove flue, which has three loose joints in it, with a purpose made doglegged all welded flue. This will prevent the possibility of leakage within the saloon.

The rest of the work is routine engine maintenance and leak control.

Once she comes out of the water we may have more to do! I will try you keep you posted.

No comments: