About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Thursday 20 June 2024

BCNS EXPLORER CRUISE DAY 6

We started the day with a tour of Canal and River Trust's Bradley Workshop. Here they have the capacity to produce 150 leaves of lock gates a yesr. CRT do have another lock gate building workshop. We saw the machines amd yechniques that go into making these heritage items. Oak is still the material of preference although some other woods have been tried over the years. African hardwoods, although strong amd long lasting cannot be verifies as sustainable.

We had lunch on the move again as we cruised to Tipton Owen Street Bridge moorings.

Birds of note today was a family of little grebes..

4 miles 0 locks 2 hours

No comments: