About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Monday 20 October 2008

Plastic doesn't last!

I have probably mentioned that the "no more nails" used to stick much of Sonflower's internal fittings in place has come to the end of its useful life. We have reglued the linings to the rear hatch and swan hatch and had the pine tongue and groove boards redone at the back of the boat. Bit by bit we will need to refit and re-secure the walls, lining, shelves etc. I am reminded of a text book that I had at college, "The new science of strong materials-why you don't fall through the floor" I wish the boat fitters had read it!

The next big job will be the galley because the glue around the back that grips the drainer support to the wall has failed and the shelf support in the under-the-sink cupboard has become dislodged. The shelves on another open storage unit are now freer than they should be and the bottom one is supported directly by the floor! But one failure that I didn't expect happened yesterday. The cutlery drawer has cracked where the carcass joins the drawer front. This has all the symptoms of ultraviolet degradation of the plastic but the drawer rarely sees the light of day. I have to put it down to fatique.

Now I have the job of searching for a drawer carcass that will fit in the gap left by this one, which happens to be 17.1/2" wide. It doesn't sound standard to me. But then there isn't much on a narrowboat that is!

No comments: