About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Saturday, 26 July 2008

Toward Rugby, Saturday 26th July 2008

This morning we rose late for us. Another strange event was the rejection of an offer of breakfast at The GONGOOZLER'S REST in Braunston for a breakfast of toast and cereal on the boat. Really all we wanted to do was to do some boating.

By the time we got to Braunston Turn the hire boats were out! A Viking afloat saw me late coming round the turn and went into reverse thus blocking the canal I was turning into! Then another kind boater gave way to me at some moored boats and attempted to indicate my coming to the boat behind.The communication failed as he thought the first boat was mooring and started to pass it almost coming prow to prow with SONFLOWER. At the very next bridge however a lad of about ten handled his Rose narrowboat with aplomb to pass us under the bridge.

It must have been the heat. We stopped for lunch. It could only be salad as the temperature soared and the day turned into a scorcher.

Mid afternoon we set off again. We needed the breeze to cool us off. Even at two miles an hour the moving air is a blessing. However, everybody else seemed to be on the move. First Saturday of the holidays and all the boats were on their way. We met many at bridge holes. Two at bridges narrowed by bouys to prevent further damage where boats had tried to demolish them. We joined a long procession along Barby Straight and headed for Hilmorton locks. Here we made a boaters day by letting them go first. They had to be in Tamworth in the morning. Good luck.

We stopped for the night at Clifton upon Dunsmoor next to a golf course. We ate dinner but the fish didn't want to join in. The boys played games and UNO and went to bed at nine. The traffic didn't stop. There were boats still coming by us in the dark after ten o'clock.

No comments: