About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Friday 24 April 2009

Ahead in time

We are now through Braunston Tunnel and moored at Norton Junction. Today, we exceded our target and have really enjoyed it.

We started by watering at Marston Doles and then benefitted from the generosity of NB Alnwick who left a paddle open for us to fill the locks all the way down Napton Flight.

We lunched in Braunston and had a walk round the town and did a little shopping. The Braunston Butcher is fantastic. Pricey but well worth a look.

We did have a little problem! As we waited for the locks at Braunston bottom lock I turned off the engine and it would not restart. I thought it was a jammed starter motor and was about to hit it with a hammer when I noticed that we were outside Union Canal Cruisers where stood a man in overhauls. I asked if he was a mechanic and he said 'not today, but he is!' The man in question came over to our boat with a wit as sharp as a razor, told us jokes and bantered for about 15 minutes as he diagnosed a wiring fault rather than a jammed motor, cured the spill rail diesel leak that he noticed, adjusted the loose fan belt and told me how to modify it so that it can take the extra load of generating charge for my four batteries and then only charged me £15!

I have his details and his assurance that he has a good supply of spares for my 40 year old engine.

1 comment:

eeyore said...

O dear you really need best mate/editor onboard. I do a good spell check service for a small reward love from best mate. I miss you!