About Me

My photo
The name describes my demeanour and voice! I love narrowboating and that is why this blog is mainly about the boat and our interaction with it. I have been keeping a log for Sonflower ever since we bought her and moved onto her as our main residence. Some incidents in our boating life have been hilarious, some scary and some down right dangerous. I cannot tell what will come in the future but you can now share them! The crew are an 'ordinary' couple. The Best Mate and I.

Tuesday 14 April 2009

Easter Monday

Easter Monday

Today I tried to get onto the Three 3G network but failed.

I am writing a blog with the hope that I can post it tomorrow when I can find a signal.

We are now at Somerton on the South Oxford after a most pleasurable six hour cruise. For a Bank Holiday there was not much traffic about and no queues on this part of the canal. It is Idyllic. We have been asking ourselves why we so rarely head this way rather than the well trodden route north to Braunston. No answer except that there are limited options at the end- the Thames or The Thames.

This morning we heard a knock on the boat and Matt, the mechanic from Tooley's asked why we were still there. The engine won't start, I told him and he went to get tools and ten minutes later we were thrilling to the thump of our BMC 1500 diesel. He also put screws to hold the control column cover in place so that it didn't come off in ones hand when the engine stop button is pulled! “Anything else?” he asked. “Not at the moment” I replied and with thanks we were on our way via the water point and lock toward Oxford.

We are armed with the call out details of Tooley's (just in case) and we are members of Canal River Rescue.

It was wonderful to hear people comment on the marvellous paintwork as we passed. It quite made me feel like I had done it myself instead of just paying for it!

1 comment:

MortimerBones said...

damn! I am north, and you are heading south... I hope I will get to admire the paint work your way back up the Oxford.

Sorry to have missed you!